Friday 19 November 2010

I think its time for a Curry and Film Friday night!

As its Friday, and all I want to do is chill out after a stressful week, I could think of nothing better than making a curry, drinking a cold bottle of beer and watching a good movie!


I have to admit im a bit of a wimp when it comes to hot food but I have realised that when it comes to spicy food its all about balance. For example, if you use chilis, marry the spice with creamy coconut and coriander, their cool fresh flavors will sooth your mouth and balance all the flavours out. 


A few years ago I was lucky enough to visit India and I absolutely fell in Love with the food in the South - Specifically a place called Kerala, a very relaxed and beautiful area surrounded by water plains. We spent four days on a boat and had the most fantastic chef who cooked giant prawns, lentils, tomato salsas, lady's fingers (okra) and so many more deliciously fresh dishes! So here is my Keralan inspired Prawn Curry!


My quick and easy Kerelan Prawn Curry


1 Red Chilli
1 Green Chilli
4 Spring onions, chopped
1 Onion finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic
Tbsp finely grated Ginger
half a lemons juice
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp coriander powder
500g Raw King Prawns
Tin of chopped tomatoes
Baby Sweet Corn
Tin of Coconut Milk
Bunch of coriander chopped


Basmati Rice and Naan Bread to serve!


On a low heat fry the Chillies, spring onion, onion, garlic and ginger for about 5 mins. Then add the lemon juice, turmeric and coriander powder and cook for a further 3 mins. Add the prawns, tomatoes, baby sweetcorn and coconut milk. Season. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 mins. Sprinkle with coriander. Serve with the rice and Naan Bread. 
imgres.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment