I have had, what can only be described as, the most tiring two weeks of my life. I carried out a two week test period for my new company, with business partner Josh, called The Lovely Lunchbox (www.thelovelylunchbox.co.uk). The weeks consisted of waking up at 3am every morning and getting to our kitchens in Dulwich by 4am to begin preparing the mountains of salads, sandwiches and deli pots which we then delivered to a variety of offices in London. We learnt a huge amount in those two weeks and by far the most interesting was that people just want a good old british sandwich with the occasional twist! oh yeah, and one very important TIP: SEASON YOUR SANDWICHES...its makes all the difference!
So here are my top five sandwiches to be enjoyed in the park, at your desk or at a sunday afternoon picnic (daydreaming of that right now zzzzzz!!)
1. Mature Cheddar, Red Onion Marmalade, Watercress and Cucumber in a white baguette.
2. Roast Chicken, Cherry Tom's, Pesto and Rocket Ciabatta.
3. Parmaham, Rocket and Cherry Tom's in a seedy baguette (sliced up really small to get all the juice out!).
4. Avocado, Tomato, Cucumber, Watercress and Good old Iceberg Lettuce, with Mayo, in a tortilla Wrap.
5. Honey Roast Ham, Big juicy Vine Tomatoes, Mixed Leaf Salad on a whole grain baguette.
My mouth is officially dribbling and i'm off to make myself a late afternoon second lunch!