Monday 29 November 2010

What a week...From Figs and Poached Salmon to Shepherds Pie and Bread and Butter Pudding!

I think I have to learn to say no...I had an event this Friday, planned in the diary for a few weeks, it was for a shoot in Oxford so I thought Id go down on Thursday night and get organised, however on Wednesday night I got a call from a new client asking if I could do a last minute dinner party for 12 people on Thursday night in London...of course I said yes! 


So on Thursday I prepared the elevenses, shepherds pie and bread and butter pudding, and then frantically drove to Knightsbridge for the other dinner party...obviously I was running late and wasn't particularly helped out by the terrible traffic (burst water main...standard!).  I managed to pull off the dinner party, two canapes, starter, main and pudd and then jumped in my car, at about 11.30 pm and drove to Oxford, Shepherds Pie and Broccoli soup carefully strapped in  the car! 


I arrived in Oxford at 1.30pm, got some things organised and went to bed...only to wake up 4 hours later to start cooking again....YAWN!!


So I thought I'd share my favourite dish form the two days....and it just has to be the humble, deliciously satisfying, bread and butter pudding. 




Bread and Butter Pudding

12 Slices of Brioche Loaf
60g Butter
100g Currants
1-2 tsp cinnamon power
300ml Full Fat milk
80ml Double Cream (and a little extra to serve with)
70g Caster Sugar
3 eggs
Grated Zest of Orange
Freshly Grated Nutmeg

Line a baking tin with a little butter. Butter the brioche and then cut into triangles and place a third of it butter side up in the tin. Sprinkle the layer of bread with a third of the currents and some cinnamon. Repeat the layers three times. Then in a pan heat the milk and cream (but do not boil) take off the hear and stir in a third of the sugar, then whisk the eggs and slowly add them to the warmed milk and cream. Strain the liquid and then pour over the bread. Sprinkle with the nutmeg, the rest of the sugar and the grated orange zest. Serve with a little double cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment